× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

User introductions!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Neila
    Participant

I hope it’s alright I make a thread on here for people using the forum to say “Hello” to one another in! :D If it’s not feel free to delete this post!

Hi, my name is Sarah “Neila” Elkins. I’m a freelance Artist and Writer who found out about Chromatic and Sparkler Monthly from the open submissions. It’s been exciting to get see the magazine launch and read it so far and I can’t wait to see where the mag goes! :D

So who are all of you? How did you find out about Chromatic and Sparkler Monthly?

Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

By all means, Sarah. We’re happy to have people introduce themselves here.

Serene
    Participant

Heya, I’m Serene. I love anime, manga, and comics along with the occasional webcomic, cartoon, novel, or video game when I have time. I tend to really like fantasy, action, adventure and horror, but I’m fairly open to every genre.

I found Chromatic Press through an ANN article about you guys picking up Off*Beat again. I’ve never read Off*Beat, but what I read about the company piqued my interest and Tokyo Demons seemed like a great idea. Once I saw that REM does the art, it didn’t take me long to read it, and I quickly feel in love with it. I love light novels, but most publishers avoid them since they cost too much to release. Making English original ones seems like such an obvious solution now that someone’s thought of it!

Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Phew, trying to catch up in the forums here. (And in case you didn’t hear, we just announced our first forum contest. :D)

Welcome, Serene! I’ve seen you talk about us in the ANN forums and stuff, which is super nice of you. <3

Yeah, localization of Japanese light novels can get pricey, since the translation/editorial is so time-consuming. (Audio editor Rebecca and I both used to localize light novels for TOKYOPOP and, to a lesser extent, DMP.) It's not like creating an original light novel in English is cheaper, since we’re still paying people to write it and artists to illustrate it. *lol* But we get a completely original project in the end, which is what interests us at Sparkler. We love our localized manga, books, audio, and games, but we also want original stuff. Basically, we want more of everything. MOOOOOOOORE.

Welcome to the forums! *respectful business kisses*

caporushes
    Participant

Waaah hello! I should introduce myself too! I’m Capo and I have a shojo manga problem. Wait that’s not what I meant to say… I also heard about Sparkler and Chromatic through the Off*Beat announcement and the call for submissions! I’m a comics creator, and I’ve been a shojo manga addict for the last fifteen years! Haha!

It’s lovely to meet you. ♥

corinthian
    Participant

Hey! I’m Danny. I honestly can’t remember how I found out about Sparkler. I feel like it was from Tumblr, quite possibly from Megan “Rosalarian” Gedris, an artist, webcomic-er, and generally cool lady. But yeah, not 100% sure…

Before I knew of Sparkler I happened to buy a copy of Tokyo Demons at Zenkaikon, a small anime convention in Lancaster, PA. When I was checking Sparkler’s website I saw Tokyo Demons was being serialized there, which instantly made me want to check out the rest of what they offered. I just got here, but I like what I see thus far.

Serene
    Participant

Oo, hopefully this contest boosts the forum’s activity. It gets quite discouraging when only a few fans respond to threads.

I’m happy to try to spread the word about you guys as much as possible. :) I like Sparkler Monthly on principle, and the fact that I really like some of the titles makes it even better. I really hope it’s a resounding success!

okaykarendraw
    Participant

Hello everyone~ I’m Karen, and currently I’m an art student juggling assignments and working on my own projects when I can. I found out about Chromatic Press and Sparkler through my twitter feed, and I was drawn to the company’s goals of publishing original content and fostering a community I felt I could belong in. I’m pretty reserved online and offline, but I’m feeling brave enough to open up and join in on all the fun! I look forward to my time here on the forums and enjoying all the lovely stuff Sparkler puts out every month! ^^

Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Ha ha, I love how Capo makes this sound like a ShoujoHolics Anonymous meeting. Very accurate for some of us!

We’re really happy to see so many artists and writers as part of the Sparkler community, and we hope that means you’re pitching to us during open submissions, too! (I definitely recognized people from Twitter in the submissions pile.) We want this to be a place where people come to absorb cool media and hopefully find inspiration to make/perfect their own. And we know posting on forums can be nerve-wracking, even though as per our forum guidelines, we’re trying to keep this place a positive space. The contest is a way to reward people who take the time to come here and gather the courage to post, especially in these early days of the magazine.

I ran that Zenkaikon table, Danny, so I’m sure we’ve met. Nice to see you again!

Neila
    Participant

Hello everyone! :D It’s exciting to see the forum is picking up steam.
    Hey hey Capo! :D

Kelly Hoolihan
    Participant

Hey there, I’m Kelly. I’m a marine biologist who likes to write in my spare time. I was a huge fan of the Sleep is for the Weak review site, which led me to Tokyo Demons, which led to Sparkler and I’m really loving every little bit of it so far. I’m not normally the forum posting type, but I love this magazine and all the things in it and I really want to get involved, so I’m gonna try it!

Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Kelly, you’re from our Sleep is for the Weak days?! O.O I’m floored.

Kelly Hoolihan
    Participant

I am! I could not tell you how I found Sleep is for the Weak but I loved it. I kept checking there long after stuff stopped going up. And I always made not of stuff you recommended!

CourtneyLunn

Hi, my name is Courtney “Corky” Lunn. I’m a Graphic Designer/Vector Artist from Toronto, Canada. I found out about Chromatic and Sparkler Monthly from a friend (who I think heard about it from TCAF in Toronto?). Since then my boyfriend got a Voice Acting job for Sparkler’s audio drama Awake. He voices Robbie :)

I’ve never been part of a monthly online magazine before (and I never thought myself to be the shoujo manga kind of person) but I’m really enjoying all the different stories! I’m a little biased since my bf is working on Awake, but it’s my favorite series you have, haha.

Neila
    Participant

Courtney, Wow! That’s super cool he’s a VA :D Welcome to the forums! :D I never thought of myself as much of a Shojo person either but then again I really liked the stuff Yen Press magazine (sadly I havent been able to keep up with it since it went digital :C ) and I’ve really loved all the Sparkler Monthly stuff! :D I like the wide diversity in the stories. :P
    *Gets back to work on some fan art for the General section*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.