× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

Tokyo Demons Book 3: Chapter 4, Part 2 Discussion

Home Forums Sparkler Monthly Public Forums Tokyo Demons (prose and audio) discussion Tokyo Demons Book 3: Chapter 4, Part 2 Discussion

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Pachi —
    Keymaster

This is the thread for discussion of Tokyo Demons Book 3: Chapter 4, Part 2, released in Issue #024 of Sparkler Monthly. Prepare for spoilers for this chapter and prior ones!

You no longer need to be a Free Member to post; anyone can comment below. Rules of the forum are here.

Okay so we all know I had feelings about this chapter. I have feelings about every chapter. So let us begin the circle of support as we struggle to wait until next month’s chapter!

The cliffhanger this chapter ended on is probably the worst ever. Ever. Look at Sachi. SACHI NO.

*ahem* Theories anyone?? We got our answer about how dead/not dead Ayase is at least! Horray! I feel like the longer this series goes on, the less she’s going to be phased about terrible things happening to her body. Reform without an arm?? Welp that happened.

Slightly tipsy and it’s far past midnight, but I’m weighing in anyways!

The cliffhanger this chapter ended on is probably the worst ever. Ever. Look at Sachi. SACHI NO.

But he’s back! The fact that the first person he calls is Ayase is to be expected, but still touching. I’m going to theorize that Kado isn’t dead, only because I’m almost 100% certain Lianne would have just included that in the last sentence to crush our hearts instead of a cliffhanger. As it is, I’m going to guess he’s MIA, just like Touya. Why, I have no clue. It’s Kado so it’s probably something very smart, very noble, and very, very likely to make his life worse.

We got our answer about how dead/not dead Ayase is at least! Horray! I feel like the longer this series goes on, the less she’s going to be phased about terrible things happening to her body. Reform without an arm?? Welp that happened.

The way Aisha handled it is genius, and notably something none of us thought of in the other thread. Why not just ditch perfunctory organs? That’s also a great point about Ayase getting used to disfigurement. There have been lots of series parallels between her adjusting to her bug state as she becomes more comfortable with her human body/sexuality. She’s almost clinical about its morph abilities in this chapter.

Additional post to talk about shipping feels:

With Kado gone (and Sachi thinking things were more intimate between them than reality), Sachi’s relationship with Ayase might come under a lot of strain. I really hope I’m wrong.

“You’re so light,” he whispered, aching relief in his voice. “I could carry you all day.”

That whole segment is probably my favourite part of the entire chapter. I ship the OT3, like most sensible folk. Still, Kiyoshi accepts Ayase in a different way than Sachi does. Sachi and Kado loves her even though he can read her mind; Kiyoshi loves her even though her body is really goddamn weird. And I ship that, too.

The phone buzzed again. I love you, it said.

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one seriously invested in Mitsuko and Jo’s relationship. I’ll save the gushy paragraphs for my entry in the shipping contest, but suffice to say that I’m going to continue shipping it until their inevitable miserable breakup. Then I’ll make myself consolation tea.

Pachi —
    Keymaster

This is a quick reply to reply to your reply cuz it’s 630 in the morning and I SHOULD BE ASLEEP but instead here I am, thinking about Tokyo Demons.

But he’s back! The fact that the first person he calls is Ayase is to be expected, but still touching.

But Sachi’s all fucked up and that makes me sad D: AT LEAST HE’S NOT A CORPSE… My heart hurts for them holy shit.

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one seriously invested in Mitsuko and Jo’s relationship. I’ll save the gushy paragraphs for my entry in the shipping contest, but suffice to say that I’m going to continue shipping it until their inevitable miserable breakup. Then I’ll make myself consolation tea.

I WILL READ YOUR SHIPPING PARAGRAPHS PLEASE WRITE THEM. I do adore their relationship and this chapter was like, perfect for showing why Mitsuko is especially really good for Jo. She’s free with her love, which in a way can take a ton of pressure off of someone (instead of viewing love as this rare thing that’s oceans deep that can be terrifying for some), and also she shows Jo that even if she loves Miki and loved Takeshi, she doesn’t forget about Jo. She didn’t HAVE to text Jo. She didn’t HAVE to choose to communicate with him when everything was a mess, but she did.

I really want to reply to this more (I love discussion for this series SO MUCH) but I seriously have to go to bed. I haven’t slept! Hahaha!!! Ha…! *dies*

Becky

This series….it just sucks all my words away.
    The whole Ayase consciousness and discovering how much of her was left had my heart in my mouth.

The Miki, Mitsuko, Jo and the gang situation. There is something about Miki and Mitsuko’s relationship that I love, it isn’t all sparks and fire – although I would describe it that way if I had to because I am not sure what to call it – they seem to have this raw desire to live and fight to show that they do so and it shows in their relationship too. UGH.

The gang has definitely taken alot for the Church, I can see why she had to make the decision that she did and Takeshi…

The cliffhanger at the end, just OMG moment, it is ripping my heart up thinking up theories. I also want to hug Sachi so much.

Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

I’m sorry I was away from the forums for so long! These posts are all so great. <3

That whole segment is probably my favourite part of the entire chapter. I ship the OT3, like most sensible folk. Still, Kiyoshi accepts Ayase in a different way than Sachi does. Sachi and Kado loves her even though he can read her mind; Kiyoshi loves her even though her body is really goddamn weird. And I ship that, too.

There are always little moments I put into the book that I’m afraid are too sappy, and this was one of them, so I’m really glad you liked it–that’s a relief! *lol* I guess it’s not as corny as my original idea of Ayase literally reforming in his arms, which would have been WAY too much, heh. You’re right that Ayase’s relationship with Kiyoshi has always been more physical than mental, and that this is the sweet side of what would normally feel superficial: “I love your body, no matter what it goes through. Just please let me touch it.” He would get SUPER into her being pregnant, for example. Oh man, that’s a discussion for another day. :D

This made me laugh so hard, Olivia.

I do adore their relationship and this chapter was like, perfect for showing why Mitsuko is especially really good for Jo. She’s free with her love, which in a way can take a ton of pressure off of someone (instead of viewing love as this rare thing that’s oceans deep that can be terrifying for some), and also she shows Jo that even if she loves Miki and loved Takeshi, she doesn’t forget about Jo. She didn’t HAVE to text Jo. She didn’t HAVE to choose to communicate with him when everything was a mess, but she did.

I love your analysis, Pachi. Jo scares easy, but Mitsuko is the queen of No Pressure. It sounds so unromantic like that, but it works, since both of them are hyper-rational (except for Mitsuko’s thrill-seeking problem, and Jo’s phobia of prison/getting caught). We’re going to delve into Jo and Mitsuko a LOT more in Tokyo Ghosts, which I’m really looking forward to. I think they’re much more interesting when they’re in their early 20s. :D

The Miki, Mitsuko, Jo and the gang situation. There is something about Miki and Mitsuko’s relationship that I love, it isn’t all sparks and fire – although I would describe it that way if I had to because I am not sure what to call it – they seem to have this raw desire to live and fight to show that they do so and it shows in their relationship too. UGH

Aw, I’m glad you like it, Becky. <3 Miki and Mitsuko were best friends long before they were lovers, and their friendship/partnership is way stronger than their romance, hence the, uh, lack of sparks most of the time. *lol* But if you heard the Miki Date CD, Miki basically uses Byakko as his surrogate family, and Mitsuko considers the Riot Girls a giant mass of little sisters, so their passion is coming out here in defending their own. And that includes each other!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.