× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

Tokyo Demons Book 2: Finale (Chapter 8, Part 2 Epilogue) discussion

Home Forums Sparkler Monthly Public Forums Tokyo Demons (prose and audio) discussion Tokyo Demons Book 2: Finale (Chapter 8, Part 2 Epilogue) discussion

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

This is the thread for discussion of the finale of Tokyo Demons Book 2: Chapter 8, Part 2 + Epilogue, released in Issue #010 of Sparkler Monthly. Spoilers up to and including this point are expected, so beware!

Rules of the forum are here. Only registered users on the Sparkler site can comment–which includes you if you have a paid subscription and are logged in–but newbies and casuals can sign up for a free registration now at http://sparklermonthly.com/membership-levels/

Pachi —
    Keymaster

Well. I marathonned this over a week and I have to say, I haven’t been this emotionally invested in a story in a long time.

So on one hand, I’m really excited to see what happens after this chapter!

On the other hand, I’m losing my mind with impatience.

I’m so happy this exists though. I missed reading and loving it (and I missed the pain of character suffering, haha).

Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Thanks, Pachi. <3 We have a few more short stories to do this summer, then Book 3 will start right after.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the series. I’ve been really exhausted lately and your post made me feel better, lol.

Pachi —
    Keymaster

I am SO looking forward to Tokyo Ghosts *-*

That and buying the paperbacks together when they’re both available. I think I’ve read most of the short stories at this point!

And now I realize that every time I look at that last piece of art with Sachi and Kadoyuki in the car, my heart hurts. My heart can only break so many times (or so I thought).

Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Yeeeeeeah, the Sachi-Kado relationship will have its true breakthrough soon, and it has to happen in Book 3, so I feel kinda bad dragging it out for so long. It’s just getting cruel. *lol* Their fans do things like this.

I’m not sure when exactly the second paperback is coming out, but probably in a few months? I’d like to go back and revise some stuff (the first half dragged pretty bad), so the trick is finding time to do that.

Tokyo Ghosts is gonna be SO MUCH FUN, if we can manage to get to that series. *lol* The Tokyo Ghosts short story is coming out in July or August, though, as a little taste. Rem’s even going to do a picture with Ayase and Jo in their early 20s. :)

Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Oh, by the way–if you’ve read all the prose, I strongly suggest you try Tokyo Demons Audio. It’s really awesome, and there are some audio-original short stories and bonuses for it, too.

There’s also fanfiction. :D I started getting really emotionally invested in “Magical Girl Sachi,” ha ha!

Pachi —
    Keymaster

Sachi-Kado relationship will have its true breakthrough soon

[FEELINGS INTENSIFY]

I’m gonna have to listen to that mix and daydream about them later. <strike>It’s not as though I haven’t been doing that on the drive to work or anything.</strike>

In the case of the paperback, I might have to go ahead and order the first one rather than wait and get them together. I can wait a little bit, but I really want to read the Mitsuko and Miki story in there. I adore both of them and the fact that there’s an opportunity to see more of their relationship is delightful.

I’d like to go back and revise some stuff (the first half dragged pretty bad)[…]

It certainly didn’t feel like it dragged! But then again I did read both books in a week and told myself a hundred times “Okay ONE MORE PARAGRAPH and I’m going to bed” so maaaybe I’m not the best judge of that.

I’m really happy that Tokyo Ghosts is planned at all! I don’t read as much as I used to, but I always wanted to see what happened to the characters when they grew up and I rarely got to. Admittedly, sometimes the character’s lives were probably really boring after the end of their adventures, but who cares? Reading about their crappy little office job is at least something!

So yeah, getting to see them as adults is really exciting for me *-*

I strongly suggest you try Tokyo Demons Audio

I was planning too once I was finished listening to the Sparkler podcast (which has been really fun to hear). I’m sure there’s a lot of foreshadowing details that I missed on the first read through, so getting to listen will open up a whooole new world of information and details.

>Magical girl
    >Sachi
    Welp two of my favorite things I’m gonna have to invest some time in that!

(Apologies if any formatting is messed up! I was trying to keep this organized and also do a strikethrough but I’m not sure whether it worked or not until I hit submit!)

Pachi —
    Keymaster

Also I totally listened to the Miki Date CD, which is a style of storytelling I’ve never listened to or realized existed (I knew about drama CDs but not these sort of one sided ones) and ultimately, I think I love Miki more than I did, and I love him a lot. He’s got juust the right amount of fire and cuteness to him.

Serene
    Participant

Considering everything that led up to this chapter, that was the best conclusion to the book I could hope for. I’m so proud of Kado for finally resolving to take Touya down, which he’s always been in the best position to do since he’s the closest to Touya. Now that he has committed himself to it fully, their miniscule chance of success should grow slightly less miniscule!

I loved the volcano imagery at the end as well. It reminded me of some quotes from Heart of Darkness (I hate that book, but it does have a few striking quotes).

Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Whoops, I didn’t get my notifications for this thread! Sorry for the late replies. :(

@Pachitastic
    – The Mitsuko/Miki story is also in the Book 1 ebook, if you want a cheap way to get it while waiting for Book 2. :)

I’m glad you liked the Miki Date CD! I know it’s a super weird format (Japan is really into the self-insertion stuff for their otome market, and it was based off of similar CDs in Japan), but we had a lot of fun with it. Miki isn’t actually in the books all that much, so this was a great way to go into more of his and Mitsuko’s backstory. And Miki’s voice actor, Jennie Fiddes, totally killed it! She recorded it in front of a group of giggling female friends with prop cigarettes hanging out of her mouth.

@Serene
    – Yeah, I know this book ended on a real down note, but I was hoping Kado getting his shit together would help ease the pain. They way he’s going to deal with Touya is nuts, and we’ve started going into it with the Save Me/Don’t Save Me short story. It’s time for him to put his ridiculous skill set and his strange talent for handling people to use!

Ha ha, I kinda hated Heart of Darkness, too. But like all great literature, it had some good points. :) Kado is supposed to be sorta poetic in a weird way, hence all his imagery and metaphors. (He reads a lot and is a very out-of-the-box thinker.)

Isaac

Hey! I just finished Book 2 of Tokyo Demons and I am absolutely hooked. I binged the entire story, and suddenly reaching the end, especially on such a down note, has left me so ready for Book 3. The characters, the plot, the tone, the pacing, and EVERYTHING has been awesome so far.

So now for the most important question: When will book three start coming out? I looked around but couldn’t find any news since July.

Thanks for your awesome work
    Stay awesome

Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Thanks, Isaac. :) So glad you liked it!

We actually just finalized the schedule the other day: Book 3 starts in the October issue, so Monday, October 6th. Sorry for the long wait! Before that, the complete Book 2 ebook should be out as well, and that will have some bonus material.

Sparkler administration work has been eating me for the last few months, hence the ridiculous hiatus. But it’s almost over now. *rubs hands*

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.