× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

The Ring of Saturn (short story)

Home Forums Sparkler Monthly Public Forums Short stories in Sparkler Monthly The Ring of Saturn (short story)

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    mikeronni

I loved this story so much! The art is expressive and detailed–the piano and stargazing scenes blew me away. The story and dynamic between the characters was emotional yet incredibly subtle and realistic. I was really glad you didn’t go the route of so many other stories by adding needless drama or over-romantacized fluff.

Your atmospheric style, and Miriam’s expressions and mannerisms while playing, definitely helped capture the emotions behind the songs. It was great reading the chapters while listening to the pieces.

I was a bit confused–but intrigued!–by the ending. What is the connection between the chemist and Raz? Is there more to Miriam’s story or do you intend to plore the lives of other characters? Either way, I’d love to read more from this world!

Raphael “Raffles”

I was expecting a historical romance story with lots of fluff, which isn’t really my sort of thing. So I almost didn’t read it. I’ve been searching the web far and wide for free manga, and it was by chance I stumbled on this one. It’s actually the only comic on this website that I read all the way through. I almost didn’t, but I’m really glad I did.

I was really intrigued by the style, and when it turned out it was about music I was interested in seeing how the artist (or artists in this case) pulled it off. I enjoyed it more than I ever thought I would,especially this last chapter. There was a nice connection between Holst’s wanting to add bells and how that connected with chapter 3. It left a resounding effect, no pun intended.

But there one thing stood out the most. Raz is a playa, and so sharply dressed too. Don’t get me wrong, I really like Miriam an all, but I want to know more about Raz. Is he just side character? Or are we going to see more of him in the future?

Raphael “Raffles”

Wait… That wasn’t Raz on the last page? I thought that was Miriam with ponytail hanging out with the chemist? Don’t ask me why. So there is more to do with Raz then? Awesome.

Raphael “Raffles”

Wait… That wasn’t Raz on the last page? I thought that was Miriam with ponytail hanging out with the chemist? Don’t ask me why. So there is more to do with Raz then? Awesome.

Sorry for the double post.

KAIJU
    Participant

Wow! Thanks so much Raffles and mikeronni! You really picked up on a lot! O_O We are shocked! We won’t say for sure who the person is at the end of epilogue, but wow! You guys really did a deep reading! O_O

I will say, “Saturn” will read really differently after our next project ;)

Raffles: We’re so glad you like Raz! He’s very straight forward when it comes to his emotions (sometimes in a tactless way) but he’s definitely got some mysterious elements to his story (as you could probably tell from the dialogue haha). Resounding effect- we should put that in the back of our book LOL!

Mikeronni: We did want some Romantic elements in the story, but yes the focus of this short is about Miriam’s growth as a musician. We’re so happy you think we captured the emotions behind the songs! :D So glad you listened to the music while reading! We listened to the suite while drawing too! :) Miriam’s main story is concluded in this project, but we’re become quite attached to her so this might not be the last you see of her :D Our next project does relate to other “Saturn” characters though ;)

There are a lot of other great and free projects in the Sparkler sampler! :) I would definitely recomend checking them out! http://sparklermonthly.com/sparkler_issue/sparkler-issue-sampler-year-1/ These stories are surprisingly addicting!

Thanks again! We’re so glad you enjoyed it! ゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚

Tacto

Ohhh.. I realized only after a second read and Ruffles’ comments that that last page was a hint/link to something else… It didn’t make sense on the first read so much, but somehow didn’t bother me either, so I guess I just read it and filed away without completely understanding it, but now… hmmm. It looks like from the clothes of these two, the time is well in the past, in which case it makes Raz and his friend if not immortal, but at least beings with strange powers… Gosh, I want to know more!!! XD I kinda wonder if it wasn’t them, on the illustration, with Raz having his beautiful planet coat..?

You guys, this kind of twist is the best – it has a delayed effect that just catches you by surprise later…. It just keeps getting better :D

KAIJU
    Participant

Tacto: Hehe! We have the biggest grins on our faces right now! C:

The characters in the illustration are the same as the characters on the last page. We made the subplot in the story really subtle so that the focus would be on Miriam, but we’re so glad you guys are catching onto it! We didn’t think anyone would notice but daaaaaynm! We can’t wait t reveal just what these characters are all about!

(๑>ᴗ<๑)

I just read the entire story in one go, and I’m just as impressed as everyone else is. There’s a beautiful grasp of visual storytelling here that allows the characters to keep some of their depths to themselves–I don’t believe there was a single internal monologue or thought bubble in all three chapters. I think what I liked best was that it was art, not Raz, that finally healed Miriam and allowed her to move on.

KAIJU
    Participant

Wow thank you Olivia! You totally get what we were going for! :) We’ve always been a fan of showing rather than telling so we try to avoid using internal monologue if we can help it. We also wanted this to be a story of finding strength in oneself rather than seeking comfort in a love interest. Raz has his own story, but he’s not the center of Miriam’s. :)

arelyn
    Participant

I really loved The Ring of Saturn! Such gorgeous art and great attention to detail! I loved the story too, I really hope I get to see more.

KAIJU
    Participant

Thank you arelyn!! We’re so glad you enjoyed it! :) We hope we can share more soon! We’ll be updating stuff on our tumblr (KaixJu.tumblr.com) about our next project as well as any news relating to our project with Sparkler :)

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.