× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

The Ring of Saturn (short story)

Home Forums Sparkler Monthly Public Forums Short stories in Sparkler Monthly The Ring of Saturn (short story)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

This is the thread for discussion of the short story, “The Ring of Saturn,” part 1 of which was released in Issue #011 of Sparkler Monthly. Part 2 will be released in our July issue, and then the story will be concluded in Part 3 in August. Spoilers are expected, so beware!

You no longer need to be a Free Member to post; anyone can comment below. Rules of the forum are here.

Have fun!

okaykarendraw
    Participant

As a fan of Nodame Cantabile, La Cords D’oro, and any other performance arts related works I am 100% on board with this story and can’t wait to read more! Love, war, and music go together quite nice. <3

sgl

Ah, yeah, I’m a music-nerd too so I really enjoy this so far… aside from Nodame, I was reminded of Victorian Romance Emma. Mostly just the attention to interactions between people and the particular attention to the music.

Speaking of music comics, I actually really would like to see someone take on a slice of life marching band/concert band based comic. Band was such a drama-fest… far more crazy than orchestra from what I recall of my music days :)

okaykarendraw
    Participant

YES THIS. As a former band kid myself there was all sorts of fun and mischief on the periphery rife with story material. Music wasn’t my calling but I do miss the comraderie.

But back to the comic, I got major Emma vibes too along with a little Downtown Abbey and The Pianist. I feel like if you blast cathartic orchestral suites while reading this it would go perfectly. XD

KAIJU
    Participant

Yay! Thanks for reading! :) We can’t wait to share more!

We like the idea of a band themed slice of life story too. I (Kate) was in band back in the day as well and that kind of camaraderie is hard to find anywhere else. Especially when you’re a bunch of silly middle school students trying to come together to create beautiful music haha!

We’re glad you picked up on the Emma/Downton Abbey vibe. We did a lot of research before we started and that involved reading and watching a lot of Victorian/Edwardian comics and dramas! We love the way Kaoru Mori emphasizes subtle interactions and movements. We feel like it really brings you into the emotions and the world :) Oh and through our research we found that the Downton Abbey corset is actually inaccurate for that time period, though we never actually show any corsets. But, I suppose it’s good to know haha.

If you ever get the chance We would highly recommend hearing “The Planets” played by a live orchestra, it’s been a huge inspiration for us :) The idea that high school school girls were playing this kind of music during that time is really fascinating! Especially when you consider for women, playing the piano back then was more for entertainment than an artistic endeavor.

Oh dear I’ve rambled long enough! We hope you enjoy the upcoming chapters! :D

gomidog
    Participant

I really liked this one. One of the things that struck me was that the pacing was very cinematic. There were lots of nice pauses and well-drawn expressions that passed between the characters, and the environments were rendered in such a way that they gave a very distinct impression of time and place. I always love when comics are atmospheric, and this one definitely has that quality going for it.

KAIJU
    Participant

Yay thank you! We’re so glad you’re liking it so far! We love it when comics have an atmospheric/cinematic quality to them too. That’s what we like about your writing as well! :)

Tacto

Ashamed to say I just caught up – and this is a very beautiful, poetic piece. As a huge fan of Kaoru Mori, it was a treat to see a story with a similar, dreamy vibe, and as Gomidog mentioned, this distinctive, slow passage of time feeling. Beautiful art too – very pure and emotional. I absolutely loved the Saturn piano spread – it is spectacular. Would love to see more from you ^__^

KAIJU
    Participant

Thanks so much Tacto! :) We’re so glad you enjoyed it! We’re really happy you feel our art is emotional too, we spend a lot of time trying to convey the right feelings. We have another project related to this short that we will talk about in the future (subtle hits at the end of the epilogue) So there will be more coming! :D Thanks so much for taking time to comment!

okaykarendraw
    Participant

I’ve re-read this a couple times, and this comic is just lovely in ways I wish I knew how to articulate. Great job KAIJU! I also hope to see more from you two in the future. :D

KAIJU
    Participant

Thanks so much Karen!! Knowing you’ve read it multiple times is a great compliment! This story is meant to be read more than once as there are hidden things ya might not notice the first time ;) We’ll definitely keep you updated!

caporushes
    Participant

I really did love this story a lot! I should have said something before, oops. But! It was so solid! I’m going to re-read it a few times now that it’s all out. :D No ~interruptions~ in the flow.

KAIJU
    Participant

Aww thanks so much Caporushes! <3 We’re so glad to know you enjoyed the story! (❁´▽`❁)*✲゚*

Tacto

Arrrrr…. that illustration completely sparked my imagination… I would really love to see what the main story is about… O_O In fact, the title “Rings of Saturn” had me on the edge of my seat – I would absolutely love to see more elements of if not pure sci-fi, but anything related to space.. ^__^

KAIJU
    Participant

Hehe we’re really excited about this story so we’re having a tough time not spilling the beans~ But space is definitely a big theme. :) The Title is “Novae” after all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.