× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

Question

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Lianne Sentar Lianne Sentar 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Neila
    Participant

Would the “Everything Else” subforum be the correct location for an art thread?

Lianne Sentar
    Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Sure! We’re still trying to build a structured set of creative topics in the subscriber-only forums, but that may take awhile, and we certainly don’t want the only creative topics to be behind a paywall. Go for it, Neila!

Neila
    Participant

Sweet! If I can think of maybe a friendly, unofficial art contest/exercise thing to post would that be okay too? Like a monthly themed “Draw X themed stuff with Sparkler characters” thing? :D

Lianne Sentar
    Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Of course! Exercises/prompts are great. We’ll probably be running contests for that sort of thing in the future, too.

Neila
    Participant

Sweet! I’ll think of some ideas this weekend and try to start a Winter Themed fanart thread this month. :D

caporushes
    caporushes
    Participant

That sounds super fun! :D I’m excited to see that. ♥

Neila
    Participant

I’m going to work on some art for the first prompt activity. I’m thinking a monthly themed thing might be a good plan starting in December. :D
    Might even make some sort of participation award trophy gif people can get. Does anyone think that’s a good idea? I don’t know about picking “winners” because I’m super indecisive XD and don’t want anyone to feel left out. :P

Serene
    Serene
    Participant

I think having a winner could be fun incentive. :) If you don’t want to pick a single winner by yourself, a winner could be selected via everyone/anyone voting (with the rule that you can’t vote for your own work if you participated). As for someone possibly feeling left out, I’ve seen some small and informal contest have the rule that someone can’t win twice in a row. Depending on how many people participate, this could be extended to a few months or any amount of time that’s needed to allow for a variety of people to win instead of the same person/people winning all the time.

Neila
    Participant

In that case, what should be the prize? Just the title of having won that month?
    I could do a Trophy GIF with the winners name on it each month. Hmm.

I’m going to make art each month as well for examples but want to be disqualified if we’re picking winners :P since I’m MCing the thread.

Lianne Sentar
    Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Hey, guys! This sounds really good. Editorial wanted a new contest for December, so we can set this up for you and offer prizes. (That way you can enter yourself, Neila! :D)

We can enter all participants into a raffle, then draw for a few participation prizes. And if this is fanart, we thought maybe the creator of the original work could pick the ultimate winner?

Keep up the great brainstorming!

Neila
    Participant

Yea I was thinking it could be fanart. :D I even started some art last night :P

If you guys want to take over the idea and make it official I’m ok with that!
    It would be cool for creators to pick the winner, but I was thinking to make it open to broad entries rather than for a specific title each time. That way readers could enter fan art for their fave and maybe get interested in reading more of another story they may not have looked into as much after seeing other people’s fan art for them. :D

Lianne Sentar
    Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

That’s true–we don’t want to limit the subjects of the art. In a perfect world, I’d like there to be open voting to the public, but systems like that tend to get skewed–either someone finds a way to vote a ton of times, or someone who has a lot of Facebook friends gets all of them to flood the polls. A single judge evens the playing field a bit.

What if we had Lillian, our head comics editor, pick the winner? Or our print designer/site designer, Lissa? (Lissa designs our covers, logos, etc. and designed the new version of the site.) They’re the “art” side of our editorial team. Actually, they could pick a winner together, to get rid of some of that “single judge” bias.

Neila
    Participant

That would be a neat idea, but would that be putting yet more things on their plate? If you had 3 judges you wouldn’t have to worry about needing a tie breaker. Hmmm…

Neila
    Participant

Perhaps we should do both? An unofficial fanart prompt challenge for fun and then later do an official one with prizes?

Lianne Sentar
    Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Yeah, we can find a third editor to break the tie. Don’t worry–it’s not a big time commitment, they can totally handle it.

But if you want to do an unofficial fanart prompt challenge to start with, that’s totally fine. We can still do the raffle for participating.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.