× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

Gauntlet: Chapter 4 Discussion

Home Forums Sparkler Monthly Public Forums Gauntlet discussion Gauntlet: Chapter 4 Discussion

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sparkler
    Keymaster

Discuss Gauntlet chapter 4 here. Spoilers up to and including this point are expected, so be aware! You must have a free or paid membership to participate in these forums: http://sparklermonthly.com/membership-levels/

okaykarendraw
    Participant

Gosh, I love how with each chapter I get more and more sucked into the story. There are a lot of things we don’t know about the Gauntlet, yet JUST enough is revealed to leave me wanting to know more. Good stuff! My compliments to the creators and Sparkler crew. :D

I think there’s a typo in this chapter, when Clio finds the mosaic. “A girl in a foolscap slept under the flowering branch of a tree.” A fool’s cap?

Anyway, great chapter! With Clio venturing off into a city within a city I hope this means we get to see more of the Jacks… :3

Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

We’re all really glad that you’re enjoying Gauntlet!

Thanks for bringing that word to our attention! The word “foolscap” is a technically correct but old-fashioned spelling of “fool’s cap,” aka a jester hat (this definition has actually been dropped from some dictionaries, but is still listed in others: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/foolscap). Since Gauntlet is full of callbacks to fairy tales and classic literature, the old-fashioned word fits with the tone of the story. So, we’ll probably keep it as-is.

okaykarendraw
    Participant

Ahhhh I see, thanks for the clarification! I’m really bad at catching stuff like pop culture references and literary allusions. I didn’t even catch the Star Wars quote in Chapter 3 until I looked it up. (I haven’t seen the prequels or the original trilogy. Blasphemy I know!)

But I think that’s what’s so fun about reading Gauntlet, and the serialization format really helps. It gives you time in between chapters to catch hidden gems and put together the puzzle pieces strewn throughout the story. :)

Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

No problem! I copyedited that chapter of Gauntlet and that word didn’t ping me as wrong when I read it, so I hadn’t looked into it very deeply before now. But I’m a huge nerd for words, so it’s super interesting for me to find out that it’s also a word in the printing industry, and how that word is connected to the older meaning. etc. Yep, I said HUGE nerd.

I’m really glad you’re enjoying the serialized format! I love reading things in serialization too–It’s so much fun getting all excited for the next part, it feels like every chapter is a big event. And the format works really well for a story like Gauntlet that dumps an ordinary person in this bizarre place with layers and layers of secrets to figure out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.