× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

Dusk in Kalevia: Chapter 7 discussion

Home Forums Sparkler Monthly Public Forums Dusk in Kalevia discussion Dusk in Kalevia: Chapter 7 discussion

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

This is the thread for discussion of Dusk in Kalevia Chapter 7, released in Issue #013 of Sparkler Monthly. Spoilers up to and including this point are expected, so beware!

You no longer need to be a Free Member to post; anyone can comment below. Rules of the forum are here.

Have fun!

KAIJU
    Participant

Finally got caught up and daaaaaaanm!! Haven’t commented yet but I have really been enjoying this series! I love the writing style, the attention to detail and the cinematic quality of each scene. I am often surprised by the perceptiveness, the way Demyan’s voice clips in the soundproof room, how the cold worms through clothing– maybe this is just me but it seems like the awareness of sensations and the environment seems to be especially emphasized when it’s in Toi or Demyan’s perspective. Perhaps because they are so aware of their physical forms?

Sometimes I’ll come across a scene and I feel like I’m watching a movie or animation. I would really love to see some of these scenes storyboarded! Like the moment Demyan walks in from the street through the closet. Such a surreal scene! I imagine it almost like Citizen Kane with otherworldly elements.

I’m really intrigued by these angels! I was expecting them to be really powerful beings but they turn to only have a few advantages. I really like this! And I like that the angels’ motivations are not clear cut. They each have their own agenda even though they keep receiving these orders from mysterious higher ups.

On that note, I wonder what the limit of their power is. Demyan survived multiple gunshot wounds but Zophiel (SPOILER) in the previous incarnation, died with a single shot from Solas. Are they not invulnerable to each other even through man made objects?

Anyway, I’ve rambled on far too long. Amazing work! Long story short I’m really looking forward to see what happens next and how these relationships develop. :) I Totally ship both couples!

-Kate

gomidog
    Participant

That’s funny that you think it’s got a cinematic quality, because my background is actually in Film & Television. When I write I tend to imagine scenes like I am watching them in a movie, but with additional sensory aspects. I’d like to try boarding some of these scenes sometime–it would be good practice, but for now I’d better concentrate on the next few chapters!

Yes, angels can only be killed by each other. I forget whether I said that explicitly or if it was just implied. The whole “Enemy Pairs” thing is how the angels work, with each representing the hope and fear in a conflict.

I’m glad you ship them! Hopefully the payoffs of those ships will be satisfying (I’ll do my best!)

On a side note, I really enjoyed your comic. It was wonderful! It’s really hard to portray music in a medium without sound, but you sell a musical performance in sequential art very skillfully.

KAIJU
    Participant

Oh I see, I must have glanced over that detail but I figured as much :)

Yes on focusing on the next few chapters! :D We have to read them!!

Thank you! We’re so glad we enjoyed our comic! Music is really hard to portray and we spent a long time thinking about how we could convey it visually. We didn’t want to resort to just a string of music notes above her haha.

corinthian
    Participant

I just got caught up as well, and I love how well written this story is. Like you said, you write about a lot of sensory experiences and that really helps build an atmosphere and make the setting come to life. Also, I totally ship the angels too.

The “enemy pairs” thing with and the supernatural beings spreading hope or despair to humans is really cool. I’m kind of tempted to borrow it for a Dungeons & Dragons game sometime. With credit after the reveal, of course ^_^

gomidog
    Participant

Oh, you are totally welcome to snag that for a tabletop campaign! I love when books or movies have inspired our games–right now we are doing a Burning Wheel setting that our DM made called “The Ruin Explorers” and it’s D&D style elves and orcs fantasy world, but with a heavy helping of Indiana Jones and the British Imperial Era. Unfortunately, the strapping expedition guide Bogan who was the Indiana Jones-ish one in the group, bit it because a dumbass dwarf played by my boyfriend insisted on pissing off a dragon, so now I am a very serious professor elf.
    My favorite recent campaign was the one where we were all low level guards in a far northern mining town, dealing with spooky stuff, and we all ended talking with these horrible cartoonish Russian accents. (I love tabletop games…)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.