× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

Dusk in Kalevia: Chapter 2 discussion

Home Forums Sparkler Monthly Public Forums Dusk in Kalevia discussion Dusk in Kalevia: Chapter 2 discussion

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

This is the thread for discussion of Dusk in Kalevia Chapter 2, released in Issue #007 of Sparkler Monthly.

Rules of the forum are here. Only registered users on the Sparkler site can comment, but you can sign up for a free registration now at http://sparklermonthly.com/membership-checkout/

Have fun!

Tacto

Mmmmm…this is getting more and more interesting. Kuoppala’s mind wall made me think of Dan Simmons’ “Carrion Comfort”- dark and unsettling. I really like the Angels premise and am quite curious about the lovers now. Great chapters! :D

gomidog
    Participant

You’ll see who that prophecy refers to in chapter three. There’s a bit of Romeo/Juliet going on.

Dan Simmons author of Hyperion, right? I’ve haven’t read Carrion Comfort, but it sounds damn spooky, and seems to share common conceits with the angels in Kalevia. Hyperion is the only thing I’d read by Simmons, and it’s basically Canterbury Tales in space. (My partner says “The Terror” by him is also quite scary.) Maybe I’ll check out this one.
    I’ve been put off of Dan Simmons by the fact that he’s kinda racist. It’s frustrating when there is an artist/author, like Lovecraft, who makes good work, but is douchey as a person. *sigh*

Tacto

I am very much looking forward to the next chapter ^__^

For Dan Simmons, I really liked his Hyperion series for plot weaving and world building and Carrion Confort was.. yes, pretty spooky, but in a really well balanced way (I didn’t like several other of his works though). I have no idea about what kind of person he is since I only am familiar with some of his work – but yes, I find it difficult to enjoy someone’s work if I am in a disagreement with them on fundamental values – it is tricky :)

Serene
    Participant

I found Demyan less immediately likable but more intriguing than Toivo. He’s much more stable than I expected him to be after how the first chapter ended. He seems to straddle a strange line between calculating and unstable with a touch of melancholy. It makes him much harder to figure out, which creates an interesting (and unexpected) contrast with the clearer Toivo. I already can’t wait to see them meet!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.