× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

Awake: Chapter 4 discussion

Home Forums Sparkler Monthly Public Forums Awake discussion Awake: Chapter 4 discussion

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

This is the thread for discussion of Awake Chapter 4, released in Issue #004 of Sparkler Monthly.

Rules of the forum are here. Only registered users on the Sparkler site can comment, but you can sign up for a free registration now at http://sparklermonthly.com/membership-checkout/

Have fun!

NoNane

Well, since the chapter isn’t out from behind the paywall yet, I’m going to guess that spoilers are probably not advisable for the sake of my own health and safety. I will say that everything seems to be coming together really well so far, and…

“[big gross noise]”

That is all.

Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

Eh, I think it’s fair to say that if someone hasn’t heard Awake chapter 4 yet they should stay away from the Awake chapter 4 thread, so spoil away!

[big gross noise] is the best! Made with a plunger, some old paint cans, and a bucket of water that I almost splashed my sound equipment with by accident.

CourtneyLunn

I’m really impressed with Travis’ scenes this time. I’m glad to hear he isn’t angry all the time (which further pushes my OTP of Janelle and Travis, haha)
    And with all his reasoning and suspicions maybe Rosa really DID have something to do with it (as much as I wouldn’t want that to be true, I really like Rosa!)

I’m also wondering why Janelle and Seb had such an intense (not intense, but it seems really important. Couldn’t think of another way to describe it) sounding discussion about Robbie and boundaries. Had something happened before with him watching people? Seb seemed REALLY set on letting Janelle know that Robbie doesn’t, that’s all.

CourtneyLunn

Oh yeah, agreed those big gross noises were perfect :) I could imagine you while sound editing making them. I bet you’d have fun explaining yourself if someone walked in, haha.

Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

Sorry I’ve been off the forum so long–so much traveling and holiday stuff these past few weeks!

Heh, I’m glad you’re enjoying the other sides of Travis! He’s in a bad place during this story, obviously, but there’s always going to be more to someone than endless, obnoxious anger and yelling. I was really happy to get to show a little more of both him and Rosa in this past chapter.

Unfortunately, as the “nice” one, Seb is the one who gets to have awkward conversations with difficult people. And that’s all I have to say about that, for now :D

sgl

Had to catch up via transcript so I could be ready for the next installment but all I could think is that the AI is partially responsible for the dead body.

I mean… why do people always assume the computer is somehow neutral? One of the classic sci-fi tropes is technology turning against humankind. However, in this case, it’s quite possible that PErsephone simply planted a concern or seed of doubt in someone’s head.

The aggression detection thing really set off a few flags for me. It almost sounds like a means of controlling the crew and/or a possible justification for extermination/putting someone forcibly to sleep.

NoNane

Interesting point there, sgl. However, without consciousness, Persephone is unable to take blame, so the question we have to answer first is that: Is Persephone conscious and self-aware? Currently, signs point overwhelmingly to “No”. A being that could reason beyond how it was initially programmed could have inferred that Hina wanted the door open for Travis in Chapter 1 despite not using a keyword, and would have given everyone more detailed answers than “ERROR” when it was asked about the body in Chapters 1 and 2. Plus, the programming behind a self-aware artificial intelligence would be extremely complicated, and it is extremely unlikely that Robbie would have the knowledge required to even work with one, never mind be “the best technician the ship has had in its 600-year trip.” (Character Bios, Robbie) However, Persephone seems to be able to selectively increase the access she gives to certain individuals (READ: ROBBIE), which is probably why the question of blame is coming up. However, Robbie could have, in theory, given himself more privileges through personal backdoors, or backdoors left by his predecessors.

However, we also must consider the possibility that I may be wrong, and that Persephone is indeed self aware and conscious. In that case, it actually is really simple to justify Persephone’s actions: she wanted to do those things. Mind, Persephone absolutely only responds to commands given after the keyword “Persephone” because Persephone understands the principles of good user interface (THAT WAS INTENTIONAL TRAVIS OR WOULD YOU RATHER HER FLOOD THE ENTIRE SHIP WITH DEADLY NEUROTOXIN WHILE YOU ARE DISCUSSING THE SCIENTIFIC ACCURACY OF PORTAL), but the rest of those things she could have done because she genuinely wanted to.

Either way, I am frightened by what would be implied if Persephone was guilty in either case. If Persephone was sentient, it would mean that the entity charged with the safety of the entire population of the ship would be subject to the whims of base emotions desires, and opinions, which could potentially lead to some extremely frightening scenarios. If Persephone isn’t sentient, but she intentionally allowed or caused this murder in some way, that means that someone programmed her to do this, possibly the original creators. They would have had an ulterior motive to all this, and the code they installed would probably still be running unbeknownst to the crew, because the malicious individual would be sleeping off the rest of the journey to Tau Ceti Prime. And while Persephone being sentient and hating everybody is a scary prospect, I think having malicious code inside her would be far worse.

So basically it comes down to this: We don’t want Persephone to be guilty, because if she is everyone is absolutely screwed, either by a snippet of malicious code or Persephone’s bad attitude.

Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

Hm…

Hmmm…

Not saying anything, any comment I could make would be WAY too spoilery. Just that this upcoming chapter could add some fuel to this conversation.

Heh heh heh.

NoNane

Yeah, that picture in the email frightens me more than a little bit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.