× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

Awake: Chapter 11 discussion (final chapter)

Home Forums Sparkler Monthly Public Forums Awake discussion Awake: Chapter 11 discussion (final chapter)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Kezuki 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Scoble
    Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

This is the thread for discussion of Awake Chapter 11, released in Issue #014 of Sparkler Monthly. Spoilers up to and including this point are expected, so beware!

You no longer need to be a Free Member to post; anyone can comment below. Rules of the forum are here.

Have fun!

Tacto
    Tacto

I just finished listening.. and it made me cry.. TT__TT
    I think this was a perfect ending to a great story.. It just made sense in a very human way and was really very touching..

I want to say a huge “Bravo” to everyone who worked on this – the writers, the voice actors, the artist – it all came together wonderfully from beginning to end. Sometimes stories begin very strongly then start falling apart, sometimes the ending is a big let down, sometimes the beginning is hard to get through – it is such a difficult balance to strike, but you hit it right on the head through the whole run..

Thank you for giving me the pleasure of discovering and following “Awake” – I really hope to hear another story from you ^__^

And I also really loved the illustration for this chapter – Robbie’s expression is just.. perfect..

and now I need to go find some more Kleenexes..

CourtneyLunn
    CourtneyLunn

It was a mistake to listen to this in public, haha.

I was pretty sure I could keep my composure, but maybe 10 minutes after the chapter finished I just kept thinking about it more and more and I sure lost it a little ^^;

I feel like it hit me a little harder since my boyfriend voices Robbie, and I wanted him to be happy the most (I’m a little bias, but I love everyone!). All the characters grew so much, and I love the friendly interactions at the end while having breakfast. There was clearly a huge weight lifted off everyone’s shoulders.

I’ve never truly fangirled about something as much as I have with Awake. I have drawn stupid little doodles over work notes, I’ve hypothesized scenarios and settings, I’ve even commissioned someone to make me Robbie and Hina plushies for me!

Thanks to the whole Sparkler team for this amazing series. I’ve truly, TRULY enjoyed this.

five-pm
    five-pm

In short: I really really loved this story! It was amazing =^__^= Everybody who worked on it, you rock!

Elaborating (though, not very coherently, I’m afraid): I haven’t been listening to Awake before, but I`ve been curious and yesterday I decided to finally check it out and I started listening and just couldn’t tear myself away from it till I listened to all 10 chapters in one go, it was so engaging. I’m so glad that the final chapter was released today or I might have gone mad wondering what happens next. ^^
    But I did have about a day’s time to wonder and think about it before chapter 11, so I saw the year transfer coming but I thought they would at least discuss it… The way Robbie (and Rosa) did it is like what they did to Jamilah all over again. It might be hypocritical if Hina complained about not being asked first, given what she did for her fiancé, but Robbie himself is upset that no one ever asked him if he wanted to go to Tau Ceti Prime so it’s not like he doesn’t understand that she probably would have liked for them to have asked for her opinion/consent. But it’s in character and understandable that they did not discuss it and, of course, this way it`s more interesting – with the intrigue kept until the very end – and more powerful an ending.
    Anyway, I really loved Awake, loved all the characters, they are all so alive and real, really loved all the illustrations, the colors are amazing, everyone`s voice acting is really cool and all the sounds are great, loved all the suspense and how the plot lines eventually came together; and the ending is absolutely beautiful ♥
    Thank you so much for creating this audio drama and bringing it to us!

Rebecca Scoble
    Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

Aw, you guys :D

I’ve been working on Awake pretty much nonstop for more than a year now, and I can’t even believe it’s over. I’ve gotten to work with some wildly talented people, and created something I’m genuinely proud of. And I’m so glad that other people seem to like it, too! If I didn’t know people out there cared about listening to the next chapter, there’s no way I would’ve pulled off all the many, many all-nighters it took to get Awake done. I’m so blown away by the response we’ve gotten :D

This is probably a good time to mention that there’s going to be a short epilogue on the complete set, which will be out pretty soon (once I get all the technical stuff out of the way). We’ll keep you all posted.

Thank you so much for the support!

caporushes
    caporushes
    Participant

I listened to this chapter and when I got to the end I just sat up in my bed, shouted NO!! and threw a stuffed animal. What terrible thing have you done to me…! I’ve got a life to live, you know! A normal, grownup life that involves leaving my house and not crying into a stuffed cat about how sad fictional space people are.

Seriously though, I am a hard sell on audio dramas, and Awake really knocked it out of the park. My sincerest and most heartfelt congrats to everyone involved– you guys did it, and it was so, so good!

corinthian
    corinthian
    Participant

From five-pm

The way Robbie (and Rosa) did it is like what they did to Jamilah all over again. It might be hypocritical if Hina complained about not being asked first, given what she did for her fiancé, but Robbie himself is upset that no one ever asked him if he wanted to go to Tau Ceti Prime so it’s not like he doesn’t understand that she probably would have liked for them to have asked for her opinion/consent. But it’s in character and understandable that they did not discuss it and, of course, this way it`s more interesting – with the intrigue kept until the very end – and more powerful an ending.

I agree that it seems a bit hypocritical, but definitely in character for Robbie. But since Hina fought so hard to get Basil’s years transferred I can’t imagine Rosa would have let another transfer go by easily. They must have had an “off air” discussion where Hina agreed, because they wouldn’t be able to get Hina back to her pod without her being… awake. B)

Leslie Kirby

I waited a week to listen to this chapter so I could brace myself, and I still flailed and cried at the ending. My heart aches so much for Robbie and Hina, and Rosa and Janelle, and I have ~feelings~ about Travis and Seb, and now it’s over. I need to take a day soon and listen to the whole series start to finish. Ugh, I just love it all so much I can’t even English.

Joamette Gil
    Joamette Gil
    Participant

I listened to this chapter and when I got to the end I just sat up in my bed, shouted NO!! and threw a stuffed animal. What terrible thing have you done to me…! I’ve got a life to live, you know! A normal, grownup life that involves leaving my house and not crying into a stuffed cat about how sad fictional space people are.

Seriously though, I am a hard sell on audio dramas, and Awake really knocked it out of the park. My sincerest and most heartfelt congrats to everyone involved– you guys did it, and it was so, so good!

I was just about to ask you elsewhere if you had finished it already, haha! :’D This blew me away. This was my FIRST audio drama experience, and it wow’d me. I’ve never even felt tempted to try them, but when I saw the character design for Hina, I thought, “Oh my god. I love this. I lack this. I /need/ this in my life.” So I have it a shot and was in no way disappointed. On the fangirlish side, I was stuck there screaming “ROBBIE WHY DON’T YOU JUST NOT GO IN THE POD AND SPEND THE NEXT 29 YEARS WITH HINA.” I was beside myself. I can see Hina being really, really emotionally confused for a few years after waking up again (joy at seeing her family, anger and trauma at waking up in a time and place she didn’t choose, love and maybe even some hate for Robbie as her emotions grow more confused). Uuuuuuugh, I need that epilogue, like, NOW.

Rebecca Scoble
    Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

Hey guys! Thanks so much for all the Awake love (and hate, and tears, and stuffed animal throwing). It really makes everything worth it knowing that our little story had that big an effect on people.

The cast and I are recording a few actor roundtables soon–the first one is tomorrow night (featuring the voice actors of Travis, Rosa, and Janelle), and the second will probably be next week sometime (hopefully with the rest of the cast). I wanted to open them up to questions from fans, so if any of you have anything you’d like to ask either me (the director) or the cast about the acting process, story, characters, editing, or anything else, please ask away–you can just respond right to this thread.

Thanks!

iguanadepalo

So I just binged the entire series and tbh it’s a masterpiece. God bless.

Rebecca Scoble
    Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

Thanks so much, iguanadepalo! I’m so glad you liked it :D

Mel Williams

I binged Awake and then had to buy the whole thing again to get the epilogue… Man the feels, and I have no one in my life to talk to about it… Did anyone ever write that Rosa/Janelle fanfiction? I feel like I could totally Mills and Boons it!

Kezuki

I found this on accident and Ive never been happier. I just finished it and I-I’m shook. This series was funny, unique, romantic, exciting, sad it had all the elements. It was detailed and well done. The ending shook me but what shakes me more is why there isnt a movie out yet this needs awards

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.