× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

Awake: Chapter 1 discussion

Home Forums Sparkler Monthly Public Forums Awake discussion Awake: Chapter 1 discussion

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

This is the thread for discussion of Awake Chapter 1, released in Issue #001 of Sparkler Monthly. 

Rules of the forum are here. Only registered users on the Sparkler site can comment, but you can sign up for a free registration now at http://sparklermonthly.com/membership-checkout/

Have fun!

sora1027
    Participant

I like this far. I was waiting for so long to see how the audio drama played out and it’s superb. It mentioned that it was going to be a comic,but I think it works very nicely as an audio drama, it sets it apart from the pack.

Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

I’m really glad you like it! A lot of people aren’t used to the format yet, but I’m hoping we can get more people to give it a try, because I think it’s a really fun and interesting way to tell a story. I’ve been having a great time working on this project, and the whole staff is only made up of awesome people, so hopefully we can keep it up!

Serene
    Participant

I listened to my first few audiobooks recently, but I’m still trying to get use to the medium. The only things that really threw me off about Awake were the scene changes and trying to figure out which voice belongs to which name. I’m bad with names, so I ended up looking at the transcript to figure them out (thank you for including that, by the way. It’s really helping me get use to the format more quickly).

I wasn’t sure what kind of story this was going to be. Throughout most of it, I was thinking it would be a slice of life sci-fi. If I were right, I don’t think I would have continued as neither genre is my cup of tea. But with that ending, it seems to be a horror instead of slice of life, and that genre is very much my cup of tea. I’m going to listen to the next chapter at the least.

Tacto

WoW, this was really good.. It is my first time listening to an audio drama and I am very impressed – the story is quite intriguing and the voice acting is so good that it gives it a whole new dimension which makes it very gripping. I am very curious about how this is going to unfold.
    Great work on this so far!

NoNane

To all the voice actors and creators on this project, congrats. This is looking to be one crazy awesome series. I recognize some of the names and the voices on both the cast and the creator lists from following the Tokyo Demons audio serialization, and I am overjoyed to see them joining some new additions to the team of brilliant and awesome people that seem to be gathering extremely fast around here. I would ask Lianne and Rebecca how they were planning on keeping this to only once a month, but I’m fairly certain that, if I did, they would hunt me down and kill me.

There were really only two things that irked me. One was the voice of Persephone, in that she sounds so familiar but I cannot guess her name. Who is she and why am I getting a GLaDOS Jr. vibe off of her?` The other was the scene changes. Mind you, it became obvious very fast after the swap that it had happened. But during the little break, I always wondered if my internet had failed (a common occurrence at my house, I assure you). It would be nice if there was some sort of consistent noise during those so that we the people with unreliable internet don’t accidentally reload the page mid episode.

Really, this looks like its gearing up to be an awesome series, and I hope to stick with it all the way. Way to go guys!

Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

“There were really only two things that irked me. One was the voice of Persephone, in that she sounds so familiar but I cannot guess her name.”

…….
    …………..
    I dunno, I’m sure it’s just some kind of robot or something.
    Her voice WAS pretty amazing and sexy, though.

(The GLaDOS thing is on purpose, though. I thought using autotune as one of the elements of the robot voice a la Portal was a really cool idea. I’ve tried to making everything about Persephone sort of musical–even her alarms are musical tones, albeit dissonant ones).

Joamette Gil
    Participant

This was my first time listening to an audio drama, and I really loved it! The illustration for this chapter was gorgeous, too. Hina’s design makes me sooooo happy! And I confess: I’m already shipping the characters…!

Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

Sooo…I am extremely curious who you’re shipping! You know, if you feel like sharing :D

Joamette Gil
    Participant

Sooo…I am extremely curious who you’re shipping! You know, if you feel like sharing :D

Hinelle, also Tranelle as a sort of love-hate thing… *u///u*

NoNane

Okay, new question. Near the start of the chapter, Robbie (Robby?) requests data from Persephone And uses these extra parameters:

“Use code green if status is 444.”

What is “Status 444”? I know httpuses that for no response errors, but that doesn’t seem to make sense here.

CourtneyLunn

What is “Status 444″? I know http uses that for no response errors, but that doesn’t seem to make sense here.

Basically what Robbie was saying is if her husband was dead (aka no response) to hide it or do whatever code green was. So I guess it does make sense here?

Lianne Sentar
    Keymaster

Good guess, Courtney! I’ve been told that it’s okay to reveal that “Status 444” means “deceased.” But I’m not at liberty to say what “Code Green” means. :)

Rebecca Scoble
    Keymaster

Ack! I should really chime in here–I did spend the last week recording chapters 3 through 5 of Awake, though, so I feel like I have a pretty good excuse for being antisocial online…right?

Hinelle, also Tranelle as a sort of love-hate thing

I have nothing to say about this that wouldn’t be a massive spoiler…except that I’m extremely honored that you’re shipping our characters! If the characters in Awake are interesting enough to ship, I consider that a really good sign!

What is “Status 444″? I know http uses that for no response errors, but that doesn’t seem to make sense here.

Lianne pretty much covered as much about this as I’m willing to disclose, but I’m assuming that by this time in the future technology will have moved on enough that codes and errors are almost entirely different from our current ones, with a few callbacks to things that were invented in the early days of computers (i.e. now, from their perspective). Plus, this isn’t the normal internet–one software tech at a time, with varying degrees of skill depending on the person, no contact with other computer and AI-savvy people, and way too much time on their collective hands, means that Persephone has a ton of personalized commands and weird quirks of programming that wouldn’t exist on earth computers.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for listening! New chapter goes up in about a week and a half!

CourtneyLunn

Fixing code was one of my least favorite freelance jobs since I was looking at other peoples coding and wondering “what were they thinking” sometimes. I can only imagine how Robbie feels after 600 years of random edits by other crew members. Wonder how many ASCII dicks there would be.

I just finished re-listening to Chapter 1 and I can’t wait for Chapter 2!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.