× FINAL DAYS to Kickstart the Before You Go graphic novel!

A monthly digital magazine of comics, prose and audio

Lost password
Affiliate Partner with Hiveworks

Reply To: Thoughts on the Monthly Prompt Challenge changing to Prose from art

Home Forums Sparkler Monthly Public Forums Contests! Thoughts on the Monthly Prompt Challenge changing to Prose from art Reply To: Thoughts on the Monthly Prompt Challenge changing to Prose from art

Rebecca Scoble
Keymaster

Oh man, take care of yourself, Neila! As someone with a big history of repetitive stress injuries, I know how miserable it is dealing with pain every time you want to work on your art. So keeping yourself as pain-free as possible is the most important thing! I hope things improve for you soon.

I like the idea of a writing contest, though I think restricting the word count to 500 or 1000 words is important–both to make it possible to judge entries fairly easily, and to level the playing field between really fast writers and people who construct their stories more slowly. Also, I think flash fiction is really fun–I love to see how people set up a scene and characters in such short stories. They can be such good idea generators for longer works, too :D

I also think, any rights issues aside, it’s more fun to do this kind of contest with original characters than fanfiction. It’s a little weird to judge original fiction and fanfiction against each other (especially with a short prompt, since fanfic doesn’t need to establish characters the way original fic does), and I think if you have to choose one original fiction is the way to go.

Anyway, go ahead and announce a writing prompt. I assume you were planning to do it for the month of August? That’s fine with us.